Prev: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements Next: OT: MAATKARA

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:06:54 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Well.

This is a particularly interesting discussion - for a layperson with
*no*
background in this sort of subject (well, other than high-school
physics).
That business about vacuum energy drives is fascinating...

I've gotta add in, however, that the discussion would be more enjoyable
without the nasty edge.

How about ratcheting down the pomposity level a few notches, and just
make
your points?

Either you're being sarcastic and snippy in an attempt to be funny
(which
it isn't), you aren't reading what you write and don't realize what
you're
saying, or, hopefully, you're just really tired or something...

Please remember, the general membership of this list might not be
astrophysicists or rocket-scientists - but we're not stupid.

<snip>

>  Practical experiment.  Take

<snip>

>To disabuse you of a false notion, heated/burning reaction engines are
the

<snip>

>Expansion does NOT equal emmision.  As I pointed out early, a
compressed
>gas system (assuming a non heated non irradiated gas) is the counter to
>your declaritive.

<snip>

>>     I hate to bring in another list, but the rough consensus on

>If you hate to do it, then don't.  Specifically, I'm not on the list,
and
>so I have no reason to beleive anything posted of it or about it.  I've
not
>read or had the chance to "check-out" the so called astronomer to
verify
>that the person is who they say they are, and really does know what
they
>are speaking of.  And given the nature of the net, this is a
necessity...
>To many people pose as something they are not out there.

<snip>

>Next...  An astronomer is NOT a rocket scientist.  (sorry, had to be
said)
>And someone who writes Sci-Fi is no more likely an expert on science
(much
>less a particular branch) than the next joe who walks by me.

<snip>

> 2 completely different states of matter, thank you.

<snip>

>You missed one of the fundamentals of gasses...  PRESSURE.  (Thus the
term
>compressed)

<snip>

>space.  (space is not empty)  An excercise for the reader: lookup
Bussard
>Ram-Scoop engine.

<snip>

>You're welcome to do the math.  I've seen it.

<snip>

>They're wonderful things.  And if you want to talk about them, I'm
happy
>to.  Specifically in regards to space flight, in relation to today,
near
>future, or far future.  However, I do request that you bone up on said
>physics, especially recent practical/applied physics in regards to the
>subject.

<snip>

>As a 2 part excercise for the reader...  Part A: Given X distance from

>Hint: easy answer, assuming no angle, is: diameter of object Z.

>Hint: easy answer, to follow Part A: diameter equal to the greatest
diamter

>(for ease of math, question was stated where answers in 2D or 3D will
be
>accepted)

<snip>

Adrian Johnson

Prev: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements Next: OT: MAATKARA