Prev: RE: [FT] Big GenCon thank you Next: [FT] Quick GenCon Rundown

RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:34:50 -0400
Subject: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Your answer in correct only if viewed from a point on the direct line of
the
flight from the destination.

The ability to have a picket on a moon, asteroid, planet or anywhere in
space means that the plume would have to have zero emissions or be
enclosed
entirely or it will be detected.

Even if you have a linear plume (questionable as even a laser expands as
it
travels), it will interact with stuff in space. As you pointed out space
is
not empty. Your plume will interact with the free hydrogen and dust when
it
collides with it. At that point your plume will no longer be linear, it
will
at best be splintered into a linear portion and a pulsed linear
splinter.

As for reactionless drives, the chance is that if we can manipulate
something enough to push a SDN around at 4 Gs acceleration (or more),
that
we will find a way to detect it from a distance.

-----
Brian Bell
-----