Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: AW: AW: my website updated again

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: "Mark 'Indy' Kochte" <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:17:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 1:42 PM -0400 8/7/01, Mark 'Indy' Kochte wrote:
> >
> >Chandrasekhar Limit, which is 1.4 M(solar). My info is a little out
of
> >date (it's been a LONG time since I seriously studied black holes,
and
> >really most recently only galactic-sized super-massive BHs), but I
think
> >there was theoretical evidence that you could have a black hole of 1
solar
> >Mass.
>
> It was my understanding that if you were under the 1.4 then a dwarf
> was the result after H-Fe supply burn out and after nova.

It can happen. Very unlikely, but it can.

> >In any event, what Jerry was trying to illustrate is simply that the
mass
> >should be irrelevant when looking at the overall gravity well
effects. You
> >could look at all masses as point-sources for this exercise, too.
>
> Aye, the question is the slope of the gravity well affecting the FTL
> limit. I guess a way of putting it is what "angle" of gravity well
> slope is a safe FTL transition happy with?

Gotcha.

> >Be careful your adjective "larger". Do you mean more volume or more
mass?
> >It does play a difference. ;-)
>
> When I say larger, I mean mass. All stars get bigger and smaller
> physically over their lives. Thats why I was questioning the sole use
> of Spectral Class by weber for determination of the Hyper limit.

I understand your questioning of Weber's decision. I don't get it
myself.
I'm sure Weber had some mad scheme in mind when he came up with this (or
it was a result of poor understanding of stellar physics, don't know)

> >IIRC (without having all my texts onhand and no time to spend going
up to
> >the library to do this research) the volume of the source plays a
role in
> >how wide the gravity well is, but the depth should be essentially the
> >same for the same mass.
>
> a more gradual slope vs a really steep slope in other words (giant vs
midlife)

Bingo!

> >Don't hurt your head on this stuff. Find a good PSB solution.  :-)
>
> Likely I'll find a nice table of star masses and figure an easy
> relationship. I'm still working on the other stuff before I worry
> about some of the constants. I figure most systems with any
> reasonable habitation won't have Giants or close binary's since they
> tend to be unhealthy for life in general. Nice G class V's are likely
> the norm for where humans live....

If you need help finding stuff, let me know. I can always go through
my stack of books for stuff (barring that, there's a library
upstairs...)

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: AW: AW: my website updated again