Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:10:04 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

At 1:42 PM -0400 8/7/01, Mark 'Indy' Kochte wrote:

>Chandrasekhar Limit, which is 1.4 M(solar). My info is a little out of
>date (it's been a LONG time since I seriously studied black holes, and
>really most recently only galactic-sized super-massive BHs), but I
think
>there was theoretical evidence that you could have a black hole of 1
solar
>Mass.

It was my understanding that if you were under the 1.4 then a dwarf
was the result after H-Fe supply burn out and after nova.

>In any event, what Jerry was trying to illustrate is simply that the
mass
>should be irrelevant when looking at the overall gravity well effects.
You
>could look at all masses as point-sources for this exercise, too.

Aye, the question is the slope of the gravity well affecting the FTL
limit. I guess a way of putting it is what "angle" of gravity well
slope is a safe FTL transition happy with?

>Be careful your adjective "larger". Do you mean more volume or more
mass?
>It does play a difference. ;-)

When I say larger, I mean mass. All stars get bigger and smaller
physically over their lives. Thats why I was questioning the sole use
of Spectral Class by weber for determination of the Hyper limit.

>IIRC (without having all my texts onhand and no time to spend going up
>the library to do this research) the volume of the source plays a role
in
>how wide the gravity well is, but the depth should be essentially the
>same for the same mass.

a more gradual slope vs a really steep slope in other words (giant vs
midlife)

>Don't hurt your head on this stuff. Find a good PSB solution.	:-)

Likely I'll find a nice table of star masses and figure an easy
relationship. I'm still working on the other stuff before I worry
about some of the constants. I figure most systems with any
reasonable habitation won't have Giants or close binary's since they
tend to be unhealthy for life in general. Nice G class V's are likely
the norm for where humans live....

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions