Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:50:12 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

In message <p05100e01b795c4b730c5@[157.166.130.123]>
	  Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> At 10:16 AM -0400 8/7/01, Jerry Acord wrote:
>

> >Consider two scenarios: 1) the Earth orbiting the Sun at 1 AU; 2) the
Earth
> >orbiting a 1-solar mass black hole at 1 AU.	The orbit is the same in
both
> >scenarios.  Replacing the Sun with a b.h. will not magically suck all
the
> >planets into it.  1 solar mass is 1 solar mass.  However, close in
you

> Course getting the Sun to become a black hole when it isn't over the
> Chandrakar (sp?)
> limit is of course impossible. Thats the nice thing about a main
> sequence dwarf.

Not impossible, just very difficult, and I shouldn't happen naturally
:-)
Anything can be made into a black hole if you squeeze it hard enough -
however, small ones don't last very long ;-)

> >_will_ get weird effects and spacetime _is_ warped much more severely
close
> >to the b.h. than it is near the Sun.  It's just further out that the
severe
> >warping smooths out.  That's why a b.h. will have an event horizon,
but the
> >Sun obviously doesn't...
>
> Ok, I see, the slope is sooner for the gravity well in the case of
> the larger star. But is the well as deep since it's spread out?
>

> >(SImilar argument, but in the opposite direction, for G2V vs. red
giant)

> >So as far as FTL / hyperspace travel is concerned, you could say the
"higher
> >order spacetime perturbations" of the denser object lead to a
relatively
> >further stand-off distance for safe hyperspace entry etc. etc. etc.
(hands
> >waving vigorously...)
>
> Yeah, it'd be easier in my mind to base it off of total mass of the
> star/system. The safe region of a Moderate to distant binary system
> (or even a trinary with a 2 dwarfs and a compact main sequence) would
> be nasty.

Wandering off at a slight tangent, an old friend of mine proposed a
fictional hyperdrive where the safe 'jump' points were at the Lagrange
points (specifically the L4 & L5 ones) of a planet's (or moon's) orbit.

So, they'd be close in, but in a predictable position.

Charles

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions