Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:34:08 -0400
Subject: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

At 8:00 AM -0500 8/7/01, David Rodemaker wrote:

>I guess that I just don't see this. What it does mean is that your
actions
>*could* take place closer to planets, but I don't see this as a given.
First
>we have jump distance set by distance within the originating gravity
well
>(this isn't defined as either solar or planetary, but I suspect would
>probably be both...)
>
>Since you are also trying to work it as Canon as possible I don't feel
bad
>about quoting "The Book", even if does make me feel like an SFB/GW
geek...
><g>

[snip all the game based and very nice canon FTL stuff]

>There is also the implication that you don't jump right into combat
because
>for about a hour afterwards (or at least 20 minutes) the crew involved
in
>the Jump is good for nothing, and certainly not for combat...

This is something people like to forget....especially someone in our
local group that wanted to jump into combat as a cheese factor. He
wasn't happy with the mention of zero weapon effectiveness for a
turn. He was also quite upset at the idea of not having shields up.
"see look at the book, it says desperate tactic!" We let him have his
shields but he sucked it up for a turn when everyone got to shoot at
him without retribution.

>All of this implies that the outer edge of the gravity well is at the
outer
>edge of any system (several *days*??), but that you can cut it a great
deal
>tighter (several hours...) It almost sounds like for military ops that
the
>bigger factors are cohesiveness and crew stamina rather than the
actual...

I'm understanding it to be that you jump into the region way beyond
the Oort cloud and assemble your strike force. It is such a massive
volume of space that unless the Red Force has awful operational
security, then they aren't going to worry about getting bushwhacked.
Once all the ships or the appointed time has come, the ships will
jump in over the shorter jumps to the edge of the solar system in
groups. Some final stage here (I'm bidding for the last FTL
transition) is where the system defenders (Blue) get early warning of
the large number of ships not scheduled for entry

So, Blue knows there are some ships out there, Red is seeing some
energy signatures in system some are obviously sensor pickets due to
broad range comms traffic (messages to merchant and civil ships to
find safe harbour, news leaks, etc), some are obviously merchants,
some are unknown, and there are likely a number of ships under EmCon
that he can't see. Blue however see's signatures for the task force
and once the picket's get closer, they'll be able to get a better
idea of what has shown up to make their day bad.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions