Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

RE: Asteroids in Space (was: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:15:00 -0400
Subject: RE: Asteroids in Space (was: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions)

At 9:58 AM -0400 8/7/01, Mark 'Indy' Kochte wrote:

>Never be able to.*  THerefore the easiest solution is to assume
>that ships are composed of alloys that can *take* this kind
>of punishment in day-to-day space travel (after all, we ARE
>talking about ships surviving MT missile hits, where MT missiles
>are supposed to have the destructive power equivalent to nukes ;-).

One issue is whether or not the detonation of the Nuke is point or
proximate to the ship. If it strikes the ship and detonates, then I'd
expect these ships to be pretty stern stuff. If they are detonating
proximate to the ship, then it isn't as big an issue. You don't get
quite the shockwave in space as I understand it. There isn't an
atmosphere to compress to make that wave. You do of course have nice
thermal and radiation effects though.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions