Prev: Re: Yes, Yes.... He is a God (at least a Minor One!) Next: Re: B-17's in space next, I suppose...

Re: Yes, Yes.... He is a God (at least a Minor One!)

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:54:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Yes, Yes.... He is a God (at least a Minor One!)

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:37:19 -0400, "Thomas Barclay"
<kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
wrote:

>Now of course, it is
>up to the tender mercies of International Postal
>Operations (in whom I have limited faith).

Tom, you may be rather pleasantly surprised. For whatever reason
(probably
sheer volume, if nothing else), the CRCS (formerly Canada Customs) is
faster
clearing packages from the UK into Canada. I've had packages with gifts
from
friends take 2 weeks to come up from the US via mail. I've had packages
from
Jon arrive in 3 to 4 days. The best time was when I e-mailed Jon on the
Monday
morning (my time, so it was already afternoon in Britain) with an order
and it
was waiting for me when I got home Thursday.

I had a package not so long ago get stopped at Customs. For
non-Canadians,
this is doubly irksome. There is no duty on game stuff from the US, and
the
duty from Britain is pretty small. But if they stop the package, they
will
charge 7% Goods and Services Tax (like a VAT), 8% Provincial Sales Tax,
plus a
$5 "handling fee". At any rate, out of three packages in the last couple
months, only one was stopped. Now, yours is big enough that it probably
WILL
be stopped and taxes applied. Even so, my package that was stopped still
made
it through in a week.

Let us know when you get it...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Yes, Yes.... He is a God (at least a Minor One!) Next: Re: B-17's in space next, I suppose...