Prev: [OT] Bye for 2 Weeks Next: Re: Movies)

Re: Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - alternate suggestion

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:36:31 +0100
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - alternate suggestion

In message
<6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9E01D73384@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> > Level-2 Stealth system/hull
> > MASS is 5% of hull (minimum of 2?), COST is 8x MASS
> > Level-2 Stealth system/hull
> > MASS is 10% of hull (minimum of 4?), COST is 8x MASS
>
> I thought you were making a case for 10xMass?

ah! I think I may have inadvertently caused some confusion here:

The idea is a wholly alternative mechanic, suggested by one of my
friends (Adam) based on the already discussed holofield mechanic, and
hence based on the FT screen mechanic, rather than a range reduction
mechanic (except for missile lock-ons). I just though I'd propose it as
an alternative, and see which everyone liked best.

In summary, there are two alternative Stealth Mechanics:

1: Reduce the range bands of the attacking ship (your stealth systems,
etc.)
2: Give a penalty to attack rolls (holofield).

> I'd get rid of the minima (except maybe minimum 1 mass,as in
everything
> else). It should arguable be _easier_ to stealth smaller ships than
larger,
> so making the relative percentage rise below Heavy destroyer mass
doesn't
> make sense.

Ok.

> > Either is a thresholdable system (Stealth Generator) or is
automatically
> > lost at the second threshold (Stealth Hull) (I'm not sure these two
> > options are of equal value).
>
> They're pretty much a wash as far as chance of loss goes, I think
>
> > Counts as a level-2 screen vs. all beam weapons, pulsars, stingers,
> > SMPs, MKPs, all fighters, and scatterguns used in anti-ship mode.
> > - -2 to the 'to hit' dice roll for pulse torpedoes, k-guns, and pod
> > launchers.
> > Reduces lock-on range of missiles to 4mu (adjust for different base
> > lock-on ranges in cinematic).
>
> This is holofield only, right? The Stealth mechanic is a range
modifier
> only.
> If that's not what you mean, then I'm getting confused.

As I stated above, in this version, the holofield is just a type (PSB)
of Stealth Generator.

> > Sa'Vas'Ku Stealth Node: as equivalent level of stealth, but requires
1
> > power per mass of stealth node from the D pool to activate.
> I like this alot. Could be massed as a screen node, but higher cost,
of
> course.

I think it already is.

> Or alternately, the SV could have a Stealth Carapace. Layered on top
of
> regular carapace, costed similarly to Phalon Shell armor. Must be some
% of
> ship mass per level. Destroyed like armor.

Interesting idea - need to think about it.

> > Phalon Stealth Shroud Gland: Effect as stealth level 2, but phalon
ship
> > cannot fire on any turn that the stealth shroud is deployed.
> > MASS 5% of hull mass (minimum of 1), COST = 5x MASS?
> Also like. Should probably allow PDS fire.

Or have it protect against plasma as a vapour shroud does - in which
case the cost may need increasing slightly. - remember - with the
holofield mechanic, missiles have a reduced lock-on range.

For a range-band reduction version, yes, allow PDS fire.

> Noam

Well, I hope I've cleared up the confusion :-)

Charles

Prev: [OT] Bye for 2 Weeks Next: Re: Movies)