Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Names Next: Re: AW: AW: Finally my own website - ..

Re: [FT] Ship Names

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 00:57:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship Names

IF Sahaabah class listed at from the names of the Prophet's companions
at
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/history/biographies/sahaabah/biographies.h
tml
Lead ship in the class is Miqdad ibn al Aswad.

IF DD's are the Saladin class, named after famous generals.  The lead
ship is of course Yusuf Salah-ed-Din Ayyub.  Others would include Alp
Arslan, Imad-ed-Din Zenghi, and Shirkuh, just to name a few.

The "Muslim victories" (Hattin, Yarmouk etc) have already been
mentioned, although I didn't notice Badr or Ain Jalut on the list.

Sword of Islam is more correctly Saif al Islam.  The only other one
I've come up with for that class would be Asad (Lion) al Islam.

No doubt Jon will sooner or later come out with an Islamic SDN (in
response to the PAU Rostovs) and CVA (gotta give those suicidal, er,
heroic martyr fighter pilots something to fly from).  We can
reasonably call the CVA the Mekkah (with others being  M'dina,
possibly Yerushalayim, my inspiration runs low after that).  Taking a
lesson from the RN's New Zealand, etc, we might have the Arabiya Jadid
(New Arabia), Misr Jadid (New Egypt), etc.

Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Names Next: Re: AW: AW: Finally my own website - ..