Prev: Re: FT-Subs? Next: Re: FT-Subs?

Re: [FT] Ship Names

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:38:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship Names

----- Original Message -----
From: Allan Goodall <awg@sympatico.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 9:00 PM

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:09:23 -0400, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

SNIP

> I always liked the idea of going kind of silly, like naming
Superdreadnoughts
> after small flowers. I kind of like the idea of someone having to
explain
why
> half their fleet was destroyed by the good ship Pansy, or the
Battleship
> Buttercup.
>
> Allan Goodall 		 awg@sympatico.ca
> Goodall's Grotto:  http://www.vex.net/~agoodall

Similar propaganda effects could be achieved by undercutting the type
names,
calling a battleship a 2nd-class reserve sloop, or a superdreadnought
e.g.
Laundry Tender No.1148.

On the subject of current naming conventions, RN current Type 23
frigates
are the "Duke" class, drat them, apparently just to get "Iron Duke" to
fit.
Why not simply use the name and never mind the convention?  In the good
old
days, most of our destroyers simply had names beginning with the
appropriate
letter, so e.g. the "G"s were Gallant, Garland, Grafton, Greyhound,
Gipsy,
Glowworm, Grenade and Griffin.

How about the NAC prison hulks "Lord Archer" and "Fragrant Mary"...

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: FT-Subs? Next: Re: FT-Subs?