Prev: Re: FT-Subs? Next: Re: FT-Subs?

Re: [FT] Ship Names

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:00:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship Names

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:09:23 -0400, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>I suspect a correct patter for NAC names would be a combination of
>US, RN and RCN practice. Canadian names are interesting in the large
>use of Native American (First Nations to you Canadians in the list)
>names for warship names.

The use of First Nations names is already present in the NAC order of
battle.
Currently, the modern RCN frigates are named after cities.

The US is big for naming ships after important people, but they also
have
connections to states and cities. There are only so many things you can
name
ships after, and you usually want to have some sort of connection to the
nation (the British were, of course, exceptions to this with names like
you
mentioned, such as Terror, Dreadnought, Golden Hind, Victory).

I always liked the idea of going kind of silly, like naming
Superdreadnoughts
after small flowers. I kind of like the idea of someone having to
explain why
half their fleet was destroyed by the good ship Pansy, or the Battleship
Buttercup.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: FT-Subs? Next: Re: FT-Subs?