Prev: Re: Movies) Next: RE: Movies)

Re: Movies)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:35:03 +1000
Subject: Re: Movies)

G'day Allan,

 >It's possible that their whole "adrenalin rage"
 >thing came from hiding and then rushing out
 >to quickly kill a prey that walked past.
 >I call this the "trapdoor spider" mode of hunting.
 >
 >In this case, they would be really nasty in combat:
 >accustomed to not moving except when they need to,
 >and then doing that very quickly and powerfully.

Its not a bad idea, though I personally wouldn't chose Trapdoor spiders.

"Pure" ambush predators (e.g. Trapdoors) wouldn't have enough of "an
adventurous spirit" to become interstellar or even social (e.g.
Trapdoors
don't wander more than about 3 body lengths from home) and for them its
not
so much an adrenalin spike as a reflex reaction, trip the trap and bang.
On
the other hand things like lions which are ambush in that they have to
sneak close unseen and then "burst forth" would work well. As would
something like Funnel Web spiders... in their case the females never
leave
their nests, but the males go on long journeys looking for mates and so
turn up in people's homes and swimming pools etc.

Ambush behaviour isn't needed for a quick "adrenalin" spike dynamic to
appear in an animals behavioural repertoire (most animals on Earth have
"fight or flight response"), but a semi-ambush response could be a neat
way
of explaining Ro'Kah, so long as it wasn't long lasting.

Cheers

Prev: Re: Movies) Next: RE: Movies)