Prev: Fw: Fw: Full Metal Atkinson Next: FT2 & MT on EBay

Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:04:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)

> At 10:26  20/07/01 -0400, Laserlight wrote:
> >UN hasn't been surveying, at least not new systems--individual
nations
> >and private companies were doing that.

Derek asked:
> Says who? Ok, it's not canon but Beth's IAS was in there working
with the
> UN to survey new systems at the start.

sez me--and I should know, it was my ships doing the surveying....
<vbg>

There are a number of worlds which are entirely or primarily occupied
by one power (eg the NAC).  I can't see the UN doing that--if they had
control over who got which planet, I think they'd want to split each
planet up among multiple owners.  Among other things,
a) if there's a disaster on one planet eg a plague of tribbles,
everyone is affected, so it's fair--and hopefully everyone will chip
in to find a cure;
b) it may be more likely to cause small scale border incidents, which
is good--maintains a need for the UN; but
c) it is less likely to have

ok, "b" is a pretty cold and calculating reason, but if it occurred to
me, no doubt it occurred to those blood-sucking leeches employed by
the Faceless One World Monolith....er, I mean, the UN bureaucrats.

> Also, so what are the UNSC survey cruisers doing out on the rim,
surveying
> gaseous anomalies? < look out trek reference :) >

Ah, that was later.  After the Major Powers, the IF, the PAU, etc had
claimed the closest worlds, the UN realized it needed territory and
began doing detailed curveys of the core systems (at least they *call*
it surveys, it's probably intelligence-related) plus the rim systems
(of course to get to the Rim you have to go through someone else's
territory.  Too bad there are no space fish, the UN could just send
"trawlers").

Prev: Fw: Fw: Full Metal Atkinson Next: FT2 & MT on EBay