Prev: DS2 AAR and questions Next: Re: [OT] Announcement

Re: Re:Movies

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:52:44 +0100
Subject: Re: Re:Movies

----- Original Message -----
From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@njaccess.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 3:14 AM
Subject: Re:Movies

> At 08:57 PM 7/14/01 +0100, you wrote:
> >I have been reading the movies sugestions without any comments so
far,
but I
> >will add my own <G> anyway.
>
> And why not? ^_^
>
> >People have said outland [snip]
> >  Why it wasn`t set on either europa or titan, which
> >I consider better places, is beyond me.
>
> Charles Taylor had the same idea I did (was Outland pre-Voyager?)...
> Outland was released in 1981, the Voyagers passed by in, what, '79 and
> '80?	So given writing time & production, I'm willing to bet that our
> knowledge of the system just advanced past what was known when the
story
> was written.	It doesn't change the fact that's it's a great yarn. ^_^

Hey, I love the movie as well, and it is one of my favorites, just the
facts
get in the way sometimes <G>. Also, I bet the movie was released to cash
in
on the facination with space due to voyager at the time, just the facts
came
in and "bit them in the ass" so to speak.

> >As for the sci-fi films, I would say all of them that involve space
ships
or
> >space battles.
>
> I think people are looking for titles here. ^_-  And not Star Wars....
>
> >For the anime, any gundam is excellent, especially any of the OAV
> >productions.
>
> Um... okay.  (I've been less than impressed with most of it, though if
> you're only thinking of the battle sequences and don't mind the
super-duper
> robts issue they are quite good.  This is, of course, my opinion. ^_^
)

If you ignore the giant robot bits (which I like anyway), the OAV`s tend
have excellent animation with realy good stories, for example 0080 war
in
the pocket (I think thats it`s title?) or shar`s counter attack (known
to my
freinds as shaggy gets his <G>).

> >I would also suggest nadesco, LoGH, sol bianca, gunbuster
> >(highly amusing)
>
> Amusing... okay, yes. ^_^;  LoGH is *great*, but unfortunately
difficult
> apply to FT battles because of the scale.  (Though I know there have
been
> some attempts made to model the mass battles... what are the smaller
ones,
> only 10,000 ships to a side? ^_- )
>
> >and others with spaceships blowing the crap out of each
> >other <G>. One of my personal favorites is bubblegum crisis, in my
opinion,
> >the best cyberpunk ever. Also, look up tenchi muyio (sorry for the
> >spelling), for some excellent spaceship designs (grown from trees!).
>
> Trees and crystals, yes, much fun, but sparse on the space
> battles.  (Unless you train your starship in evasive maneuvers by
getting
> it drunk.... ^_- )  It is a fun show, though, and my (older) sister
named
> her car -- now my car -- after the starship/cabbit in question....
>
>					   Aaron

We have 4 cats, eldist named brandy (mothers name for her), no2 is
gengis
khan (my cat, my name), no3 is kai (dp) and the kitten is reoki (pardon
the
spelling).

Prev: DS2 AAR and questions Next: Re: [OT] Announcement