Prev: Re: Jon and Alan Re: Movies Next: Re: Unnarrowed Re: Movies

Un-narrowed Re: Movies

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:23:46 -0500
Subject: Un-narrowed Re: Movies

***
Kagemusha has the best one-sided battle/slaughter this side of the WW2
Wermacht-vs-Polish (horse) cavalry "duels".
***

As has been pointed out on the list, Kagemusha is not Kurosawa, but a
damn
fine piece.

If you are doing Kurosawa weekend, mixing in films that influenced him,
and
vice versa, is fun for me.

Westerns were big for him; you can certainly see that in Yojimbo and
Sanjuro. I haven't figured which came first, those two or the spaghetti
westerns, but they are very close.

Throne of Blood was based on Macbeth, while Ran used King Lear.

In the other direction, watch Seven Samurai, followed by the Magnificent
Seven, and Hidden Fortress followed by Star Wars.

Sorry, Laser, but somebody pushed my trigger. ;->=

Striving mightily to bring this back on track, didn't some of the early
Japanese sci-fi have space battles? I'm thinking maybe Mysterians had an
attack on a moombase, but now we're talking WAY back.

Prev: Re: Jon and Alan Re: Movies Next: Re: Unnarrowed Re: Movies