Prev: Narrowed Re: Movies Next: Re: Jon and Alan Re: Movies

Re: Movies

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:44:44 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Movies

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:07:17 EDT Popeyesays@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/13/01 4:11:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
jon@gzg.com
> writes:

[Snip pithy description of "Ice Cold in Alex"]

> In that vein, "Sahara" with Bogart. I would also recommend some
Japanese films. "Escape from Attu", "Seven Samurai" and "Yojimbo". <

Heck, why not just have a Kurosawa (sp?) season?! You can't (or
shouldn't) see Yojimbo without Sanjuro (which came first, IIRC); Throne
of Blood is good stuff; and Kagemusha has the best one-sided
battle/slaughter this side of the WW2 Wermacht-vs-Polish (horse)
cavalry "duels".

Some classic British war films are well worth a look. "Battle of the
River Plate" is an entertaining period piece, and a good companion to
"Sink the Bismarck!"; It also neatly fits into Laserlight's category
(c). <g>

Phil, now feeling like going and checking my video collection. Settling
down to watch a good film would be fun this weekend. Wish I had a copy
of "Dambusters"...
----
"We gotta get out into Space / If it's the last thing we ever do!"
   -- Return to the Forbidden Planet

Prev: Narrowed Re: Movies Next: Re: Jon and Alan Re: Movies