Prev: RE: [FT] Honor Harrington update Next: Re: [FT] A few more fleets

Re: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:12:59 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required)

G'day Brian,

 >OK. Where is the balance point?

As dumb as it sounds (and I can here Oerjan rolling his eyes already)
I'd
say it depends on the way you play ;)
If you're apt to spread your fighters out then the balance could be
higher
than if you're more a "pack hunter".

Against FSE I'd say about 4 groups, against NSL/ESU (sorry very little
experience with NAC) I'd say it'd be 5 fighters before I'd start wanting
carrier on my side, with home designed fleets it'd probably be a bit
higher
again.

 >How would you read the situation?
 >How many fighter groups are too weak to be
 >of value.

Depends how you want to use them. Even one is useful defensively, but I
probably wouldn't use less than 3 in an offensive sense.

 >How many are too many as to be overpowering
 >if the other side does not have any?

Well it does depend on the PDS coverage, but probably 6+ if ship books
and
moderate sized fleet (with only 1 or 2 CE) about 9+ for the home design
ships we usually run.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

Prev: RE: [FT] Honor Harrington update Next: Re: [FT] A few more fleets