Prev: [FT] A few more fleets Next: Re: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:36:34 -0400
Subject: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

4mu engagement envelope (probably should be 3mu).
No secondary movement.
Can choose target (like old MT missile).
Is destroyed on PDS 5-6 (like Salvo Missile).
We also limit launch to Active Sensor Range (54mu). So no off-board
launches
(you don't want to take out that cruiseliner with a broken transponder
by
mistake).

Our group does use ships with beefed up with ADFC/PDS nets.
But then again, we never have done a missile swarm either. The most
missiles
on the table at a time that I can remember is about 6. Our house rule is
that any ship leaving the table scores 1/2 vp for the opposition. So the
swarm of corvettes with a single missile is usually a loosing
proposition.
We usually fly at 15-20 and most ships have at least a MD of 4. We also
do
not use markers indicating where the ship will be in the next turn or
allow
measurement from opposition ship in the missile/fighter
placement/movement
phases (these makes it too easy for any missile of fighter to be on
target
every round).
With the 2 point restriction, MT missiles are usually a hit or miss
weapon.
Either you guess right the 1st time or you loose the use of the weapon.

I will concede that they are unbalanced in large numbers (but no more so
than fighters).

I am curious, do you think that Fast Fighters (move 36mu, 2nd move 12mu,
range 6mu) is a bit much also? I know that the mass/cost, damage/mass
and
damage/cost is different. But they do get to make more than one attack.

Missiles are like fighters the more you use, the more effective they
are.
Fighter groups seem balanced at about 1 group per 3 friendly ships (
with a
balanced, mixed mass fleet), where no more than 2 groups attack a single
target in a single turn (playtesters can correct this perception if I am
wrong and indicate the correct balance point). In MT, MT missiles seemed
balanced at about 1 per 2 ships (where no more than 2 attacked a given
target in a given turn). My version, above, should meet this same
balance
point.

-----
Brian Bell