Prev: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP) Next: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

Re: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:47:12 +0200
Subject: Re: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

BIF wrote:

> > However... these masses and costs assume that the standard MTM is
itself
> > balanced against the SMR. At the moment there's, um, quite a few
different
> > opinions on how true that assumption is <g>
>
>If I may be so humble, there is definately a inbalance between SM`s and
MT
>missiles.

I know. Some

>Ignoring the dammage potential differences of the 2 missile systems
>(which, the laser head equalises), there is the point of the PDS
required
>for intercept of the 2 systems, which work against the MT missile
better
>(or worse, depending on your viewpoint <G>) than SM missiles.

Take a look at the tables Beth posted again; they compare 1 SMR hitting
target protected by 1 to 6 PDSs with 1, 2 and 3 MTMs hitting the same
target. The MTMs need to hit the target with just over 2 missiles to
"break
even" compared to the SMR (or just under, if the target is very weakly
defended).

Because of this the main problem with the MTMs is *not* their
vulnerability
to PDSs, but instead that the movement mechanics specified in MT give
them
far too low a chance of hitting a target in the first place. If you
change
the MTM movement to a fighter-style system, their hit probability
increases
massively.

I'm currently playtesting Alan's "simplest" MTM version as well, and so
far
I like it (at least for Cinematic; haven't had a chance to try it in
Vector
yet). The "variable" version feels a bit too short-ranged though.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP) Next: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)