Prev: Re: New IF ships Next: Suggested figure posings (for Jon Tuffley)

Armour crew bail out

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:56:19 -0400
Subject: Armour crew bail out

My comments marked with [Tomb]

Allan replied:
>1) If armour crew (as opposed to infantry)
bails
>out, they automatically lose 1 quality level
(they
>can do infantry stuff, just badly - imagine
>infantry trying to operate a 100mm Gauss
>Cannon).

Hmmm... I usually don't even worry about
the crew. I just let them "disappear". The
only time I have them on the table is if
they count towards casualty counts for
victory purposes.

[Tomb] We tend not to. I've seen jeep and
VTOL crews hold up a whole infantry
platoon. Rather silly. But the player's thought
was "This is a desparate situation, they
know it, and they're still able to fight". I just
think they should fight less well than
dedicated infantry.

>3) Crew or troops bailing out also get to
drop >a morale level from having their
vehicle shot out  >from under them.

They have to roll morale for taking casualties.

[Tomb] True, but if you take no casualties, I
still think it is jarring to lose your ride.

 I could understand you wanting to give them
a Confidence Test if they are in a vehicle
that blows up, but I don't like the idea of an
automatic Confidence Level drop.

[Tomb] Okay, I can buy that.

>2) When a major impact is scored on a
vehicle,   double the bail out rolls. Otherwise
people seemed to survive far too easily.

Must be a local thing. *L* I have had squads
gutted with a vehicle hit. On a major impact
they are already rolling twice the weapon
class against their armour. Put your guys in
D6 armour, or run a WW2 game with
D4 armour and see what happens... *L*

[Tomb] Most kills in my games are a result of
IAVR or GMS/P fire. Thus a class 1
weapon. But even these, if the weapon is
destroyed, probably should cause ammo
cook-offs, secondary explosions, and fire.
So rolling higher than a 1 on the quality die
(usually d8) isn't too hard. Where does body
armour enter the picture? Or have I
misinterpreted the rules? <don't have my
book handy and my recall may be flawed>

>3) I don't like on the move stuff, just
because it looks more complex to
administer.

You'd have no problem. I know this,
because I've read your Overwatch rules,
Tom. ;-)

[Tomb] The old version. Thrown out in favour
of a much streamlined and much simpler
version, which achieves about the same
effect with far more simplicity of explanation.

> And the CO being busy doesn't
necessarily mean his squad can't act well. I
think if you cut the CO to 1 transfer per
round, you gut stargrunt a bit. It is
>part of the mechanic that differentiates it
and
>makes it interesting.

I'm going to try the 1 Transfer Action thing a
bit more. I'm not sure how it will work. I've
been thinking more about this. I do like the
two transfers, but I don't like that leaders end
up in the corner of the board.

[Tomb] Concur.

I playtested a little more last night, and I
think giving leaders 1 free transfer and only
allowing one more is going to be too
powerful.

[Tomb] Depends. If you limit "comms"
actions to two per activation, then he won't
be calling arty or air. So you'll pretty much
be limited to reorg, move or shoot. And one
more guy in a squad fire isn't a huge big
deal.

I suspect that it's going to be unreconcilable.
We keep 2 transfers and live with leaders
hiding out on the table. The proposals just
aren't nasty enough to "waste" an action
moving when the command unit could be
transferring.

[Tomb] I think your comms rules go part
way. The other thing is play a few heavy
EW games. When officers start _having_ to
be up with their troops to have any
reasonable chance of a command transfer,
that will change the game.

Giving them one transfer for free is okay if
they keep moving, but it makes them too
powerful when the command unit sits still
(essentially giving them 3 actions). You
mention that you think the game will lose
some of its feel if 1 transfer is taken away,
and you are probably right. Allowing
moving while doing a transfer has been
roundly panned.

[Tomb] Not all ideas meet with general
approval. (I know!). But it was a good cut at
the problem even if it isn't generally liked. :)

I think we're stuck.

[Tomb] For now. Maybe an idea will strike us
soon. :)

Prev: Re: New IF ships Next: Suggested figure posings (for Jon Tuffley)