Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results

RE: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 5 Jul 2001 14:39:10 -0700
Subject: RE: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results

On Thu, 05 July 2001, "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

> [Bri] We misunderstood each other. I think that the range/LOS rules
should
> be used.

Okay, with you so far!

>   Thus my suggestion that Command Transfer and Off-Board
Communications be
> counted as a "Pseudo Combat Action". This combined with the range/LOS
> modifiers (especially if they only get one transfer activation) would
give
> incentive for the commander to not just sit in the corner. However, I
guess
> that a commander could just sit in the corner and waste one action
each
> turn. But I would think that this would encourage a leader to use one
action
> to move and the other to do a command tranfer.

I think it was the "pseudo combat action" concept that I was unclear
about. If it just takes the place of a combat action (i.e. firing a
weapon), it doesn't do much. A leader will rarely be in a position to
fire at anything.

However, if you mean that as a "pseudo combat action" the leader can
only do one per activation, then I'm right there with you!

> [Bri] But this could also lead to a leader moving, activtating a unit
and
> firing his weapon. Or Calling in an air strike, moving, and activating
> another unit. This seems a bit much to me.

The more I think of it, the more it seems like a bit much for me, too.
It's tempered by movement being 4" not 6 or D6 x 2, and by the
communication roll being shifted down one. But it does still make a
commander awfully powerful.

I'm really, really leaning towards one Transfer Action per activation,
making it very similar to a Fire action.

> [Bri] This does need fixed. But I would rather remove the rule that
the
> detachment must be activated (activate the main squad and detachment
at the
> same time) than give the leader a free move.

I can see why Jon put it in there, though. Here's a cheesy thing to do:
detach 3 figures out of a 6 figure squad. Next turn, run half the squad
from cover across an open space. Next turn, move the first half into
cover, and the second half into the open. At no time does more than half
the squad show itself. Even if you took fire for a total of 4 figures
casualties, you never hit that magic "took more casualties at one time
than you have figures remaining" morale check. This is because morale
works on the whole squad.

You get the best of both worlds: the advantage of manoeuvring of a small
squad, but the advantage of morale in a bigger squad.

My own morale house rules fix this to a certain extent, as a morale test
is made once the squad loses half or more of its original size. That may
be enough to offset this problem. Then, you do away with a Detached
Unit. Instead, you have a Detach Action that creates two new squads out
of one old one. Forget about transfer actions and detached squads, and
let them operate independently.

I'll have to think about this to see if there are any negative
ramifications.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results