Prev: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results Next: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

[SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 4 Jul 2001 14:09:36 -0700
Subject: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

One thing happened in my playtest game that I wanted to bring up.

What do you do when a vehicle carrying passengers is destroyed or
disabled? Do you let the passengers bail out for free, or make them wait
for their activation? Do you require them to bail out?

The reason I ask is that the rules are very vague on this point. There
are a couple of references to the crew or passengers escaping unscathed,
but it's unclear if this means that they literally escape the vehicle,
or if they simply "escape harm".

There's also a question of whether or not the occupants take a
suppression marker. The rules state that a vehicle hit by fire takes a
suppression marker which prevents occupants from escaping. What happens
if shrapnel flies through the vehicle on a disable/destroyed result?

I don't like letting the occupants bail out of the vehicle for free. On
the other hand, it seems weird making them stay in the vehicle until
their next activation. Say an APC with a squad is activated early in a
turn. Both the APC and the squad have been activated. The APC is
destroyed, and the squad takes casualties. They would sit in the burning
vehicle for the rest of the turn. Not only that, but if they were badly
mauled the player may have them activate last in the next turn. It just
seems wrong that they'd be sitting in the burning vehicle for the better
part of 10 minutes…

After thinking about it, here's the situation we came up with:

- On a non-penetrating hit, the vehicle takes a suppression marker, as
per the rules. The occupants can not leave until this is removed.
- On a penetrating hit that destroys the vehicle, the occupants test for
casualties as normal. They immediately bail out of the vehicle 6 inches,
but they are given a suppression result. [The suppression makes up for
the "free" unloading action.]
- On a penetrating hit that disables the vehicle, the occupants test for
casualties as normal. The squad may bail out as per a destroyed vehicle,
and are given a suppression result. On a successful Confidence Test of
1/2/4 for high/med/low motivation troops, the squad may stay in the
disabled vehicle instead of bailing out, but they still receive a
suppression marker.

How does that sound? In practice all the squads bailed out.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results Next: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out