Next: Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields - shall we put it to bed?

Re: [OT but important] Re: Claim your Free 4-In-1 Super Pen,it's beenpaid for by...

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:54:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT but important] Re: Claim your Free 4-In-1 Super Pen,it's beenpaid for by...

On  4-Jul-01 at 02:57, Donald Hosford (Hosford.Donald@acd.net) wrote:
> What really puzzles me about this SPAM business, is occasionally I
would
> get spam that didn't have my address on it...Without my address, how
did I
> receive it? Seems impossible....but there it is.
>
> Donald Hosford

There are two parts to sending an e-mail.  First you connect up
to the mail server and say who the recipient is.  Then, in the
data section you write all the headers, things like From: and
To: lines are headers.	The server delivers the e-mail based
on the first section.  What you see in your e-mail client is
whatever was written in the second section.

Oh, the server is allowed to add things to the header section
and usually does, things like senders IP address and routing
information.

If anyone needs more  information on the intracacies of SMTP
please send to me directly as this isn't even remotely on
topic.	It's time to go Out of Band.

Roger

(No, I don't do sendmail.cf scripting if I can at all help
 it.)

Next: Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields - shall we put it to bed?