Prev: [FT] Idea: Fighter MRSM Next: Re: Oh those wild and crazy little Nepalese - Gurkhas still going strong

Re: [FT] Idea: Fighter MRSM

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Idea: Fighter MRSM

Doesn't seem too objectionable. It's a little more
effective than normal fighters on one attack, but
it's priced higher. AND they only get one attack.
I think I'd rather be attacked by these than regular
fighters actually.

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:
> MRSM - mid range standoff missile
>
> This is something akin to a cross between an
> SM and a group of torpedo fighters.
>
> Concept:
> Fighters currently run a very high risk of being
> obliterated in a high PDS environment as well as
> a risk of being annihilated by interceptors.
> Enemy fighters are kind of hard to dodge, but
> the problems engaging ships outside the PDS
> envelope suggest the development of some
> sort of standoff weapon. It can't be hugely
> powerful or everyone will take it! It has to also
> be costed appropriately.
>
> The idea is this:
> PDS range is 6". A weapon which would allow a
> fighter to attack from a range of 9" would allow
> a squadron of attacking fighters to engage the
> target from range and eliminate PDS (except
> from other ships with ADFC within 6") as a
> threat (thus leaving only the other side's
> fighters).
>
> So, when we buy a torpedo fighter, we get a
> weapon which can (IIRC) do 1d6 damage per
> fighter but requires you to enter the PDS
> envelope to use it. It also is a one shot, then
> home to reload kind of item.
>
> Similarly the MRSM is proposed as a
> modification to a standard fighter to replace its
> existing ordinance loadout. An MSRM fighter
> can fire one MSRM salvo before rearming. So in
> this sense, things work like a torpedo fighter.
> However, the MSRM may be fired from 9" out
> and therefore outside of PDS range (however, if
> the fighter player is a little clueless, he might
> still put himself inside PDS range....). So it can't
>
> do as much damage.
>
> Each fighter fires its MRSM and the 6 (for a full
> squadron) come in as one attack. Each MSRM
> does 1d6-3. (average 1 pt, max 3). However,
> MSRMs are subject to the PDS (their fighter
> platforms might not be, but the munitions have
> to enter the PDS envelope to attack) and so the
> PDS can attack incoming MSRM salvoes (when
> an MSRM fighter declares it is attacking, it must
> identify that it is deploying the MSRM to give
> the defender a chance to allot his PDS with this
> fact taken into account). Because the squadron
> fires one salvo together, PDS multi-kill is
> effective (that is, you can kill more than one of
> the 6 MSRMs with a given PDS if you roll well).
> Screens have no effect on this attack form (its
> missiles).
>
> I suspect a flight of fighters armed with MRSMs
> should be costed as torpedo fighters.
>
> This gives a standoff weapon that gives fighters
> a good chance to survive an engagement, but
> they'll have to go home to rearm. Against a
> light PDS vessel, they should be able to do a
> few points damage. Against heavy PDS, they'll
> probably be moderately ineffective.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Tomb Raider

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Prev: [FT] Idea: Fighter MRSM Next: Re: Oh those wild and crazy little Nepalese - Gurkhas still going strong