Prev: RE: Questions re Fighters Next: RE: GZG catalog item pics needed

Re: Why superships cost more per mass

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Why superships cost more per mass

The question isn't is a Battleship more complex
and harder to build than a Destroyer. The question
is is a 200 mass battleship more trouble/complex/
expensive to build than 4 50 mass destroyers all
put together. Are there really more points of
failure between say 1 big engine and 4 smaller
engines? Is it easier to maintain 2 small honda
motorcycle engines than 1 larger honda car engine?

Ok, so I'm not a naval architect or a construction
engineer on ships. Is there anyone on the list who
DOES have actual direct experience -- i.e. who is
a real expert? If not, all we have is speculation.

Remember I've already conceded that if you're trying
to build a 250 mass ship and you've only ever built
150 mass ships, you'll definitely have more than a
linear collection of problems. But if you're say the
US and you decide you need another Aircraft Carrier,
that at least is something you've done before. You
may add some improvements, and some of those could
have their difficulties, but the basic job has already
been done many times over. Our shipbuilders already
know how to build our nuclear aircraft carriers.

Likewise if you're building your first aircraft
carrier and you've never done carrier air operations
before and you've never built a catapult before and
you've never had ships with that many crew before
etc etc etc. THEN you better stand by for many times
your weight in wildcats (or Kzinti).