Prev: Re: [SG2] Generic Weapons? (was Re: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???) Next: RE: [FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass

RE: [FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:03:35 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass

> > Once again, there is a less fine line between
> > "maximizing profitability" and
> > "charging the market price" to "sticking to the
> > government because we can"
> > (remember those $900 toilet seats, and $500 wrenches
> > back in the 70's or
> > 80's?) I would guess that it happens more than we
> > know but less often than
> > we are afraid of...
>
> Ok, as a government contractor I feel compelled
> to point out that these sorts of examples are highly
> deceptive.

Notice I said "back in the 70's or 80's".

<snippage>

Sorry if I hit a sore spot there. I think that it is a very well
documented
fact that there is a certain amount of graft, corruption, pork, or
simple
inefficiency that occurs for large scale projects of the sort
represented by
ship construction (or bridge-building for that matter). It also happens
in
the commercial marketplace also. No intent was being made to give
offense.

<sheesh>