Prev: RE: [FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass Next: Re: [SG2] Generic Weapons? (was Re: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???)

Re: Why superships cost more per mass

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Why superships cost more per mass

Nobody builds 10000 of any ship. But as much of
an assembly line as you have in shipbuilding you
can have with much smaller numbers. Plus I think
we can count on robots being more sophisticated
in the future such that they can be quickly
reprogramed to do new tasks (something which is
probably hard today).

And even today, you wouldn't actually have an
SDN assembly line, you'd have an assembly line
building beam components, and hull plates, and
furniture for crew quarters and electronic
consoles. Then you'd have the final assembly
take place in as modular a fashion as possible
at the shipyard.

samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com