Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: RE: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???

[FT] First Round Re: Monster ships

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 05:47:43 -0500
Subject: [FT] First Round Re: Monster ships

***
Question for Oerjan or anyone:
Would using simultaneous fire eliminate a lot of
the issue with large ships versus small ships? I
imagine since everyone would fire (at least in
the first round, before the big ship baked
something), some of the "fire and cause
thresholds first" advantage that is an artifact of
the alternating initiative would go away. This
would be one way to help counterbalance big
ships. Or am I wrong?
***

My knee-jerk analysis suggests it wouldn't be overwhelmingly different,
but
it brings up another question: do most people do significant damage the
first turn?

In the games I've played, likely as not, there's NO damage. Usually
takes
at least a turn to manuver into firing positions, and probably another
close to 'effective' range.

My experience is that tends to skew even more in the favor of bigger
ships,
as they usually have bigger beams, and reach out and touch someone
first.

Caveat: I've ususally played 'slow' movement games, and often with the
table the long ways.

Bias: I LIKE small ships very weak compared to big ships; feels
'historical' to me. I hope any adjustments go in the point system...

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: RE: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???