Prev: Re: All pilots have certain traits in common... Next: Monster ships

[FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:29:58 -0400
Subject: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games

Hi all

Just thinking about sensors and a game at a
higher level than the tabletop FT. By higher, I
mean longer time and distance scale, with more
hide and seek. Brian posted his ideas and I
skimmed them, but I'm working on my own so I
thought I'd quiz the list intelligentsia.

Specifically:
1) At what range could one likely detect a
starship with good passive sensors? By that, I
mean optical (visible and not visible spectra)
and other similar systems. Something that
doesn't rely on "wazoo newtech".

2) How much does the answer to 1 depend on
if the ship is thrusting?

3) How much does the answer to 1 depend on
if the ship has activated some kind of active
sweep sensors or firecontrols?

4) How much does the answer to 1 depend on
mass of the vessel?

5) How much does the answer to 1 depend on
EMCON levels employed? (is silent/black running
of any use in space?)

6) I assume there are three phases to
engaging an enemy:

1) gross detection - there's something out
there, even if it is too far away to tell what or
how many
2) fine detection - we can tell how many,
perhaps what thrust, what mass, are any
emitting
3) lock-on - we  have a fire control solution

I assume passive sensors will generally take you
through phase 1 and maybe phase 2, but you
definitely need to "go active"
(sensors/firecontrol) to get 3.

7) Does using active sensors increase your
ranges for the first phase of detection? Or are
they long enough that your pathetic amount of
emitted energy just has no effect? I am sure
active sensors would have some impact in the
second stage, and obviously firecontrol is the
third stage.

8) How feasible are recce fighters or stealthed
drones or missiles with sensors and a link back
to the ship to extend your active or passive
detection radius? Would communications with
such a drone or fighter not become
problematic beyond <insert arbitrary range>?
Or if you had to suddenly manouvre in combat,
thus breaking  your hard to detect presumably
direct laser link?

9) If I have ECM or an area jammer, I assume
that I'm making detection level 1 easier and
detection levels 2 and 3 harder. Turning on the
jammer systems would mean people would
quickly discover something was emitting out
there, but exactly where (more than a general
few mu area) might be significantly more
difficult to pin down than without the jammer.
So you'd never use ECM or Jammers until such
time as you thought the enemy already knew
you were there (otherwise why give up your
invisibility). Is this right? Or don't I get how real
EW jammers/ECM	work?

This is just some starting points for my thinking.
But any input from people with solid ideas or
some sort of domain expertise (or a keen
interest) would be worthwhile.

Prev: Re: All pilots have certain traits in common... Next: Monster ships