Prev: Re: Mounted Cavalry Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day

Re: Mounted troopers

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:48:22 +0200
Subject: Re: Mounted troopers

> A nice compromise on the boots would be strappy tanker boots vs laced
up combat boots.

> The reason for pointy toe boots when riding isn't for the brush or
cattle
reasons, it's so that you won't be dragged to death when your
square-toed
boots catch in the stirrup when you fall off the horse. The way stirrups
are
constructed makes a pointier toe more easily able to slip out. OTOH,
they are
a pain in the feet to walk around in.

>From my riding days, I don't remember about the pointy vs.square-toed
tip - my high riding boots had rounded tips. But you want smooth soles
to get into/out of the stirrup, and little or no lacing and buckles for
the same reason The boots should be at least ankle length to protect the
lower shin from chafing against the stirrup.

Knee-high boots provide good protection for the leg, but they are
uncomfortable to walk in for long distances.

Also the smooth soles provide little grip on the ground.

The trousers should be lined on the inside for comfort when riding.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Mounted Cavalry Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day