Prev: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #561

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:56:49 EDT
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #561

In a message dated 06/25/01 5:23:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU writes:

> They change their boots when the dismount? Not likely.
>
> Combat boots protect well enough when riding (I ride a
> motorcycle...). The leg armour should work well as protection against
> what chaps were meant to help against...things like thorns and
> brambles. Coybows tended to wear those more since they had to dive
> into the brush to snag/snare errant cattle. Cavalry and Dragoons
> don't tend to need that as much I think.
>
> A nice compromise on the boots would be strappy tanker boots vs laced
> up combat boots.

The reason for pointy toe boots when riding isn't for the brush or
cattle
reasons, it's so that you won't be dragged to death when your
square-toed
boots catch in the stirrup when you fall off the horse. The way stirrups
are
constructed makes a pointier toe more easily able to slip out. OTOH,
they are
a pain in the feet to walk around in. Which is why cowboys ride as much
as
possible. (I know this from personal experience, having come off a horse

twice, once wearing combat boots, which got stuck in the stirrup, and
once
while wearing cowboy boots, which slipped out very nicely. The only
reason I
can tell you this story was that my boss at the time was riding with me,
and
she caught my horse before it dragged me too far.) Having a second pair
of
boots made for the ground would be a good idea for these types of
troops.

John Hamill
JohnDHamill@aol.com

Prev: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?