Prev: Re: SGII Ghurka Pipers Next: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:43:52 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:44:15 -0400 (EDT) Roger Books
<books@jumpspace.net> wrote:

> This [suggested FT-ST conversion] sounds like you are trying to
re-create SFB. In the original series, there were only ever two
shields, forward and aft. <

I take it you're referring to lines like "Forward shields buckling" and
the like? I can't remember any counter-examples, so I'll give you that.
Or can I -- wasn't there an episode in which Kirk tells Sulu to "keep
that good shield towards him," thereby implying that there are more
than one, with a directional limit?

These days, of course, the tactical officer (or whoever) usually just
refers to "shields", as though, despite the plural, there is only the
one -- which would agree with the shield displays seen in the second
movie (unless you think those dots each represent a single shield, in
which case there are something like two or three _dozen_! <g>

> Phasers work fine as beams. Photons work fine as p-torps. Disruptors
work fine as beams also. Remember the most phasers we ever see fired
are two. <

I agree about phasers and disruptors, although some differentiation
gives the game a better feel. The SFSFW idea of disruptors being
short-ranged but more powerful (e.g., a class b/3 disruptor has the
range of a class-2 beam, but one more die at each range band) worked
well. As regards

> At most one photon. I don't remember a ship firing more than
one disruptor. <

That's a bit iffy. The thing about photorps is that they have a high
rate of fire -- one every couple of seconds, or even faster. That
argues multiple tubes (not visible on screen) or a really rapid loading
cycle. I can remember several instances of ships having more than one
tube (movie ships in particular), and ISTR the Excelsior firing from
both tubes during the final fight with Chang's ship over Khitomer.

As for disruptors, any TOS episode which showed a Klingon BC firing
showed twin disruptor shots (one from each engine nacelle).

> Plasmas would need work. <

Nova cannons are sort-of large plasma torps (equivalent to the original
Romulan BoP weapon), but rather too long-ranged, I think. House rule
time, I guess.

Phil
----
"I think... I think I am! Therefore I am... I think?"
				       -- The Moody Blues

Prev: Re: SGII Ghurka Pipers Next: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?