Prev: Re: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: Small Ships--Why?

Re: [OT] Unpredictable AI

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:57:02 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] Unpredictable AI

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:09:24 +1000 Derek Fulton
<derekfulton@bigpond.com>
writes:
>At 09:55  22/06/01 +0200,  Derk wrote:
> >This is what stumped me about fighters. Am I correct in that they
>move
> >'cinematic' in vector games? In that they retain no speed vector? It
> >strikes me as really silly if I boost my carrier up to speed 35, I
>launch
> >my fighters, and immediately leave them in the dust behind me? Isn't
> >there a reasonable fix to this, or did I entirely misunderstand the
> >subject at hand?
>
>No, there is no quick and easy fix to this aside from making fighters
>move
>the same way as ships. There is a house rule where screening fighters
>are
>allowed to move along with the ship they're screening if the ship's
>velocity is greater than the fighter's movement allowance, this leads
>some pretty funny images. A great wave of fighters screening a
>speeding
>lone scout, which drags the fighters along at it's velocity in a
>'attack
>run' on the enemy fleet and the enemy fleet doing it's best to destroy
>the
>scout in order to 'stop' the fighters :)
>
>I suppose this is one of those things to be fixed in the future.
>
>Derek

LOL!!  I never thought of that.

Better fix:  take the offender aside, politely whisper something like
"Play the game, not the rules, we'll all have more fun." and go back to
the table.  He/She will figure	it out.  Then before the next game
suggest it might worthwhile to review/add/delete a few house rules...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: Small Ships--Why?