Prev: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT]Unpredictable AI) Next: RE: [DS] Steve Gibson's Infantry Expansion

Re:Small Ships--Why?

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:50:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re:Small Ships--Why?

On 23-Jun-01 at 09:27, Bif Smith (bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk) wrote:

> Also, a question about FB1 designs. Has anybody tried the FSE SDN
(forgot
> the name) with it`s fighter bays replaced with SML`s and ammo. What
I`m
> asking is that the extra SML`s to overload the targets PDS more useful
in
> battle than the fighter groups it comes with as normal?

I can't speak for everyone, but those I have talked to tend to
user fighters and Salvo Missiles in concert.  Most people tend
to fear the Missiles more than the fighters so the fighters
survive.  I really don't think the missiles are more dangerous
over the course of the game, but my opponents seem to think
so.

So no, I  keep the fighters.  They are more flexible than the SMs.
If my opponent is PDS heavy the fighters attack.  If my opponent
uses carrier based fleets I take interceptors.