Prev: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI Next: RE: [DS] Steve Gibson's Infantry Expansion (was: [FT] Traveller Fighter Groups)

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:32:36 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> Derk Groeneveld schrieb:
> >

> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> >
> > > There have been various incidents were HUMAN pilots /
> > > weapons operators have brought down nice fat airliners.
> > > With the right type of IFF and patern recognition software,
> > > I don't think the risk from an AI would be any higher.
> >
> > IFF can be fooled. IFF can break down. Pattern
> > recognition is very nice, except these incidents have a nasty habit
> of
> > happening beyond visual range.
>
> Use a telescope or light enhancement ! And those circumstances are
> precisely those where humans have problems too.

Yes. Still, the human brain is amazingly good at this pattern
recognition
thing. (I'm sure Beth will shoot me down if I'm full of shit, here)

> > But yes, humans make mistake,s too. But they, unlike
> > machines, can be court-martialed as an example for other
> > humans not to do it again ;)
>
> And machines can be re-programmed/modified to avoid causes of errors.
> In extremis, you could scrap the whole series. The Romans might
> decimate a military unit for misdeeds, but not execute everybody.

Ahhh, but will that satisfy the hue and cry? ;)

Anyway, in the end it's all a stab in the dark anyway - where one stabs
in
a slightly different direction than the other.

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7MzrsJXH58oo6ncURAg9KAKDAcO5Q+HPoMqJqLo5/57iaYGFwEwCg4lH1
HTnEzGVWcWcdRpSelzX3dvw=
=cUtP

Prev: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI Next: RE: [DS] Steve Gibson's Infantry Expansion (was: [FT] Traveller Fighter Groups)