Prev: Re: [FT]SML question Next: Re: Alcohol Pens -- Anyone know of a source?

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:27:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> David Griffin schrieb:
> > > It's at this point I hear two comments: 1) humans
> > > are "unpredictable";
>
> > > In answer to 1: humans aren't THAT undpredictable.
> > > In fact, a lot of fields (marketing, social science,
> > > polling -- *ahem* --) are based on that fact.
>
> I consider the frequently stated argument that combat AIs would be too
> predictable to be a red herring. Even today, it is a simple matter to
> write a computer program with a random number generator to make the
> program as unpredictable as you like. It is well known in game theory
> that for some games (e.g.paper, scissors, stones) a purely random
> strategy is optimal. Any decent combat AI would be able to analyze the
> chances of a possible tactics. Weigh the options according to this and
> pick one at random based on the odds calculation.

It is not that the AI is predictable, it is that it is mindnumbingly
stupid and the problems faced by pilots maintaining situational
awareness
while dodging fire is not solved merely by being really fast.  Unlike
playing chess or diagnosing engine problems, most of a pilot's skill set
are psycho-motor skills which can be learned, but not taught.  Humans
are

Prev: Re: [FT]SML question Next: Re: Alcohol Pens -- Anyone know of a source?