Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: First Full Thrust ship

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:56:43 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Agreed it costs.  Also agree to disagree about priorities *except* for
my
money.	Ain't much but it's mine and not theirs until I "see" the
figures
(again, not necessarily the net...)

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:30:01 -0500 Andy Cowell <andy@cowell.org> writes:
>In message <ML-3.4.992879483.6306.books@babinga.dms.state.fl.us>,
>Roger Books w
>rites:
>>
>> Various posts snipped.
>>
>> Fact:
>>
>> Many of us won't order from companies without pictures.
>
>"Many" is not a precise term.	Please offer at least some evidence
>that any significant percentage of the consumers in our hobby won't do
>so.
>
>> Fact:
>>
>> If we aren't ordering it costs said company business.
>
>You're not costing them anything, you're simply untapped revenue-- and
>whether it is any significant amount or not really depends not only on
>the precise definition of "many" above, but the identification of
>whatever smaller subset would actually buy figures anyway (considering
>issues of scale and genre), upon seeing them.	If your "many" turns
>out to be a small percentage of the industry, and then only a smaller
>subset of that is even interested in my ranges, and even a smaller
>subset of *that*, all other things being equal, would select my range
>over my competetors, we're really looking at potential insignificant
>numbers-- certainly numbers that, by themselves, do not motivate me to
>do my website better.
>
>> Fact:
>>
>> If you are a mini company "on the edge" this could be
>> the difference between surviving and going under.
>
>Any company "on the edge" is not going to be able to invest the time
>and effort to visually catalog hundreds if not thousands of items on
>their website (see below).
>
>> It costs under $300 for a digital camera.  JPEGs can take under
>> 1KByte each.
>
>This is so simplistic that I have a hard time responding to it in a
>brief manner.	You're totally discounting the time of the steep
>learning curve for operating the camera, computer (do they even have
>one?), and whatever you're generating the site with-- or paying
>somebody, somebody other than your nephew who "made a webpage," to do
>it for you.  At *BEST*, you're talking weeks of work, and thousands of
>dollars, whether its paid directly from you or from actual lost
>revenues because of the manufacturing and sales you could have been
>doing instead.  Then there are the continued costs to update it to
>reflect pricing changes, line changes, etc...

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: First Full Thrust ship