Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: [OT] NKE's

RE: [FT]SML question

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:47:03 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

> >If were are going to look at "reality" then you might want to examine
the
> >issues behind why *we* don't have a Navy full of PT boats for assault
and
> >patrol purposes... ;-)
>
> Well, if we're looking at "reality", by the time humanity can
> handle FTL it
> should be able to program an AI routine for running strike ships.
> But, then
> again, I'm a proponent of strong AI. *S*

<Devil's Advocate hat on>

Why? (Though I tend to agree with you)

Someone else made the comment that by the time of FT everything would be
harder hitting, more accurate, whatever.

I doubt it. Look at the size of the FT ships and tell me that a nice
sized
nuke wouldn't just toast the whole thing on a direct hit. My take on the
FT
universe is that things actually hit less often than modern day (see
someone
else's comments on hit ratio and counter measures) and due to the
technology
needed to insure a decent range and strike capability in space the
damage
produced is not much worse than you would have with big 18" guns on the
high
seas.

David

Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: [OT] NKE's