Prev: [OT] Site update of DS2 Vehicle designs Next: Re: [FT]SML question

RE: [FT]SML question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:35:55 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

At 9:46 AM -0500 6/16/01, David Rodemaker wrote:

>If were are going to look at "reality" then you might want to examine
the
>issues behind why *we* don't have a Navy full of PT boats for assault
and
>patrol purposes... ;-)

We (the US and the USN) don't fight in our own littoral waters. We
fight in other people's space. We project power. Small combatants are
useful in your own littoral. The US does have 13 Cyclone class
coastal combatants. They are operated for the SEALs or by Coast Guard
Detachements.  (http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/usa/littoral.htm#pc)

Other navies have a larger proportion of vessels for such duties.

Russia http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/russia/littoral.htm#patr

The UK http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/europe/uk.htm#5

Italy http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/europe/italy.htm#6

In some cases its all they have. Take Israel for example...
http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/mideast/israel.htm#1

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: [OT] Site update of DS2 Vehicle designs Next: Re: [FT]SML question