Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: Ghurka's uploaded

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:10:28 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: "Derk Groeneveld" <derk@cistron.nl>

> Sea Sparrow is DEFINATELY beyond visual range capable.

Sorry, I *do* know the effective range of the NSSMS. And
can't comment except in generalities.

The Nato Sea Sparrow Missile System was originally called
the BPMDS - Basic Point Defence Missile System, and was
steered via an optical tracker. Hint Hint. And a missile that
can travel 20 Miles when launched from an aircraft in the
thin atmosphere at 40,000 ft going at Mach 0.9 has a much
greater range than the same missile launched in the souplike
atmosphere at sea level that has to crawl its way up to altitude
from an essentially stationary launcher. Hint Hint. Of course
later versions of the Sparrow had an increased range, but not
by that much.

> > Yep, and a CIWS is limited by magazine space also,
> > ever see it modelled in a game that was playable?
> > For game purposes more than 10 shots might as well
> > be infinite and not a concern.
>
> Unless your CIWS is an energy weapon.
>
> More than 10 shots is optimistic, though, if you're talking
> modern systems. Goalkeeper is not designed to handle 10 missile
> engagements. And as for Phalanx; I'd rather have even a single burst
> goalkeeper ;)

So would I. GK's good for about 5 engagements if memory serves.
But I'd rather still have an Oerlikon-Contraves Zurich "Sea Zenith"
quadruple 25mm mount that fires APFSDS. And has ammo for 14 engagements.
And can be reloaded while firing, so essentially is only limited by the
magazine
capacity (usually 30 engagements per mount). BUT unlike GK and VP
requires
 a separate FC radar.

GK is vastly better than Vulcan-Phalanx. There have been tests where GK
shot
down 9/10 incoming missiles, vs the Phalanx's 0/10. But a Phalanx can be
bolted on to a deck, it just needs power supplied. GK mounts weigh the
same as a 76mm OTO mount - 15 tonnes - and require a deck penetration.
ie you can easily add a VP to a ship, but adding a GK requires major
re-construction.

So call a Vulcan a single PDS, and a GK 5x KraVak Scatterguns in a
block.
(Whew, thought I'd never get this back on topic...)

Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: Ghurka's uploaded