Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Gurkhas uploaded

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:55:33 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Roger Books wrote:

> On 14-Jun-01 at 09:04, David Griffin (carbon_dragon@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >
> > The role of the sea sparrow or standard or any
> > other medium range SAM is not represented in FT
> > at all. They would be the "interceptor missiles"
> > which would possibly intercept salvo missiles or
> > more likely MT missiles. Since Mt's are supposed
> > to be pretty big, it probably wouldn't take all
> > that agile a missile to take one down, especially
> > if it could just get close and then set off a
> > nuke, cloud of metal, or other area effect.
>
> I don't know the "technicals" on a Sea Sparrow, but
> I do know that when we tested them from the carrier
> I was on it was always within visual range. I would
> consider that a point defense.  With 6 inches being
> 60K kilometers (?) in FT that would definately make
> anti-missile missiles a point defense.

Sea Sparrow is DEFINATELY beyond visual range capable. AFAIK the reason
lot of those exarcises/tests are carried out WITHIN visual range is
mainly
safety; visual confirmation required before firing at exercise target.

> > If you want to envision your PDS as missile
> > batteries that's fine. However, I would point
> > out that all other missiles in the game are
> > limited by magazine space where a PDS is not.
> > The implication is that the PDS is kind of a
> > laser gatling. Of course this is by no means
> > certain.
>
> Yep, and a CIWS is limited by magazine space also,
> ever see it modelled in a game that was playable?
> For game purposes more than 10 shots might as well
> be infinite and not a concern.

Unless your CIWS is an energy weapon.

More than 10 shots is optimistic, though, if you're talking
modern systems. Goalkeeper is not designed to handle 10 missile
engagements. And as for Phalanx; I'd rather have even a single burst
goalkeeper ;)

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KMJZJXH58oo6ncURAu4NAJ9FV7fao52P3u0Jx1FJzX/H0EuGAQCfZlvo
yDfkz27PStwpW0vhgwUmEos=
=jJY/

Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Gurkhas uploaded