Prev: Re: [LST] Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: 2nd CanAm

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

--- Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:
> On 13-Jun-01 at 14:52, David Griffin
> (carbon_dragon@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > So what I'm saying is you can imagine anything
> > you like for your fighters and no one can tell
> > you it's not true as long as it doesn't provoke
> > a rule change (I do that for other parts of my
> > background). However, I just have a somewhat hard
> > time believing that fighters are doing this kind
> > of hard maneuvering AT weapon release time.
>
> So your auto-jink cuts off for 1/100th of a second
> as the weapon is released.  No big deal.

And that's when the defenses fire. As soon as you
stabilize for firing, BOOM all the pds's open up.
1/100th is not very much time for Joe Human to press
the trigger, but for a computer 150 years in the
future to trigger a weapons salvo? Why not? Maybe
that's why humans aren't allowed to fire on fighters
unless they're actually attacking. The kra'vak on
the other hand believe in the shotgun approach, so
the jinking isn't such an impediment.

But if a PDS can hit the fighter, even if it has
to do it at that instant (and a type 1 beam) then
the targetting problem isn't unsolveable. Any number
of PDSs can target the object according to the rules
along with all the type 1 beams. So the only
thing that would stop a type 4 beam from shooting
would be something to do with the actual type 4 beam
weapon (size, traverse speed, etc.). It seems pretty
artificial to assume that humans of 2150 can't figure
out a better way of building a multi arc weapon than
building a big piece of metal with guns sticking out
that slews around using massive motors. I don't know
how FT is *supposed* to work, but that's all I can
think of.

You might not WANT to waste a type 4 beam to shoot
at a fighter most of the time, but it might be
worth it in emergencies.

Prev: Re: [LST] Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: 2nd CanAm