Prev: Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs

RE: Painting FT models

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:06:10 -0500
Subject: RE: Painting FT models

> just got the samples I ordered, and am contemplating their painting.
What
> I'm curious about is, how do you people paint them? Do you mount them
on
> the stands and paint them while so mounted? Do you mount them on
something
> else, during painting?

I mount them first but then I usually cut down the post, both plastic or
metal with escorts getting the shortest posts.	Then I use barrel clasp
connect the base to the mini.  On the smallest ships I do mount them
directly to the post, but after cutting off the top 1/2"+ of the post
and
drilling out the hole on the mini.

> I would guess the stand would get paint-splotched during painting,
which
> would seem a shame. But holding the model itself during painting would
> only result in a lot of metal showing through, I'm afraid.

I paint the bases black anyway so extra paint on the base is no problem.
Even if a black plastic base, I paint away since a coat of black over
the
primer or sploches is quick and easy.

> Oh, and on a somewhat similar issue, how do you transport them? I base
all
> my figures on magnetic bases for transport and storage, but I doubt
this
> would work with the FT models on their long spindly stands.

Since the barrel clasps make the base removal easy, I still use
convaluted
foam in a few different types of cases I've picked up cheep (all my
minis
have a couple coats of clear gloss and then a coat of dullcoat for
protection and I haven't seen any abrasive damage to the mini's
paintjob,
usually packed in too tight to move anyway)

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/

Prev: Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs