Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Kinetic Shields

[FT] FWD: [LoGH] LOGH wargame playtest needed

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:03:42 -0500
Subject: [FT] FWD: [LoGH] LOGH wargame playtest needed

On another mailing list I'm on, one of the posters has come up with some
rules and designs for doing the anime Legends of Galactic Heroes slices
of
battles with FTII.

Note in his comments that each table is only a small slice of the
battle.
The series has battles involving tens of thousands of large ships,
millions
of men. Comments have included running games with Napoleonic miniatures
rules as the ships tended to stay in rigidly blocked formations.

Anyone wanting to give this draft a run, contact me OFF LIST, at
devans@uneb.edu, and I'll forward a copy with his original note, as I
know
he'll want to know your comments. Just remember, he's not used to the
rough-and-tumble analysis usual here, and he's specifically stated it as
an
attempt at LoGH-only designs.

Be gentle with him... ;->=

***
>I'm notoriously bad about doing playtesting, as not a lot play locally
at
>the moment, but if you allow me to do so, I will get some of the folks
on
>the Ground Zero Games maillist to take a look, and report back to you
>directly.

Here it is.  I highly recommend you ignore the
skills/personalities/flagships section for the main playtest and only
try
them for interest and comments.  The scale is intended to be a very
small
slice of the massed fleet to fleet combat seen in the series, so more
ships
and fighting can be assumed to be above, below, and on either side of
the
gaming area.  Also as I stated within the document, this playtest and
balancing is purely for combat between LOGH ships and not other ships
from
other game universes.  LOGH ships tend to have very high firepower and
very
low durability compared to say GZG's ships.
***

I'm thinking of a point system beyond on trying to cost the ships, which
should be simply balanced squadrons, such that you get points for ships,
of
a fleet that controls a table, that are able to penetrate, relatively
intact, the opposite side.

PO(perational)B: While simply transiting the table surrenders that part
of
the 'the line', and entering areas to either side may harmfully disrupt
those positions, ships that are able to enter opposing reserve areas
while
their 'backs are covered', will weaken that  enemy's ability to respond.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Kinetic Shields