Prev: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters Next: Re: Armour generator

Re: Armour generator

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:42:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Armour generator

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

> Sorry for the stomping...

I said it wasn't going to be balanced :)

> > Lets say each level @ 5% ship mass.
> > Each level creates 5 armour points.
> > Armour absorbs all damage
>
> This is _far_ better than level 1 screens, which stop 1/6 of beam
damage
> only. It is far better than regular armour (even shell armour), as
nothing
> (rerolls, torp damage, K-guns) penetrates. It has the additional
balance
> problem of being "kinetic" armor on top of the beam protection. Cost
would
> have to be _very_ high - _minimum_ 10 pts/mass, probably more, since
the
> armour is more than 5x as effective as regular armor.

It's different then level 1 screens. They decrease damage this absorbs
it. A level 1 screen decreases damage by 1/6th but this doesn't. It'll
still get hit on a 4. But you're right it is powerful.

A design consideration for this is that it should give you more armour
points then it takes up in mass. I think 5% maxing out at level 4 is a
good level. The cost in points should balance out the mass to armour
change.

For damage absorbtion maybe it should go by level. Level 1 takes 1 point
of damage from beam and 1 from kinetic. Level 2 up to 2 form each, level
3 so on...

> > Once armour is gone generator takes threshold check @ 5+
>
> This is another _advantage_ of the Armour generator, since regular
arour has
> _no_ chance of regeneration after it is all crossed off.

Yes this is an advantage.. it's part of the whole concept. Regenrable
"faux" armour.

> >Generator can be targeted by needle beams
> >While armour up needle beams cam only target generator
>
> Small, but significant bonus depending on oppnent. +1-+5/Mass -
> scenario/Genre dependent.

> _Far_ more cost effective. The NSL would rule space with this system:
> A Waldburg replacing its 3 Armour with Armour Generators (10% of hull)
> would, for the same mass, be able to take 10 points of damage before
even
> scratching the hull. Even at a cost of 20/mass its cheap.

It should have diminishing returns.

> A Kornprinz Wilhelm could trade its 5 armour for 1 Generator, save 2
mass
> for additional weapons or hull. and get better protection for a
bargain
> price.

But not a bargain price. If we scale the cost per mass correctly it
should balance..

Jaime

Prev: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters Next: Re: Armour generator