Prev: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays) Next: RE: Marine carriers?

RE: Marine carriers?

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:22:52 -0400
Subject: RE: Marine carriers?

I have only found TWO such ships. The Kra'Vak To'Rok class Seeker
Stealthy
Ship (FB2 p. 19) and the Assault Transport (FB p.42).

No ship in either of the Fleet Books are atmospherically streamlined and
so
are likely to crash in an atmosphere (rules in More Thrust for
atmospheric
entry).

Both of the examples above have Hanger Decks for small craft.

You may want to check the list archives at
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/Archive/ to look up discussion on
updates
needed to the Full Thrust/Dirtside cross over since the FT Construction
rules changed with FB1. I think that most will agree that the interface
rules in More Thrust need revised.

Last year I suggested that:
Assault Landers could be built to a number of sizes. The military
doctrine
of your forces would determine the size of Lander used. You could invest
in
an assault lander that drops an entire unit of 5 - Size 5 vehicles, but
it
would seem to draw a lot of AA attention. I would suggest that you set a
house rule on the size that the Lander can accommodate. You could limit
Assault Landers to be a max of size 5. To determine the amount of
capacity a
vehicle takes up, multiply the size * 8 (Dirtside p.12). Infantry may be
IN
an APC that is in the Lander (ala Aliens) and the Lander would not have
pay for the capacity to carry the infantry as it was already covered by
the
capacity of the APC. Example: Size 5 (max) Assault lander has a capacity
of
25. It devotes 9 of this to a HEL-3 fixed mount and 3 to a PDS system.
This
leaves 16 capacity points for it to carry. Thus it could carry 2 - size
1
APC with infantry mounted in the APCs; 1 - size 2 vehicles; 4 line
infantry
elements without vehicle support; OR 2 Power Infantry elements. If you
needed to land a larger force, you would have to use multiple Assault
landers or a dropship (that requires a landing field).
And I suggested 100 DS capacity points = 1 FT mass rather than the More
Thrust 1 mass = 50 CS ~ 60 capacity points. So you could have 4 Size-5
Assault Landers per FT mass (and put 8 in a 3 mass hanger).
So the To'Rok could house 16 assault landers and the assault transport
(FB
p. 42) could house 80 assault landers (but would probably use some drop
ships to land larger vehicles instead).

Anyway, just some ideas.

-----
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
http://www.ftsr.org/
-----

[snip]

> And now, back to the topic of the post... Are there any ship designs
that
> are specifically designed as marine interface operation ships? I'm
> thinking support for landing operations, orbital fire support etc?
Mmm.