Prev: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:54:43 -0400
Subject: re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Roger,

comments inserted.

Dave

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:30:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

On  6-Jun-01 at 10:20, David Reeves (davidar@nortelnetworks.com) wrote:

> sorry this is late in the discussion -- one downside to digest
format....

> small correction:
> in the B5 show ships are not "all launch at one time", but phased.
the
B5W
> game also has per-turn launch limitations as well, especially the
carrier
> hulls.

You are saying that they don't have all fighters launched in under 30
seconds?  In FT terms this is "all at one time".

**********

I'm confused as to where the 30 s is coming from???

by observation from the whole B5 series, Omegas launch 6 or 12 fighters
in
one wave before the next wave launches (given that's Hollywood and JMS
is
not militarily accurate).

from the B5W game, the Omega may launch 2 flights of ftrs (12) each
turn.

from the show each wave has about 30 s interval.  the B5W game turn is
approximately a few mins (no rules in front of me now).

given all that, I merely tried to model the same behavior, introducing
some
management of fighter operations versus the all-at-once launch/recovery
that
is currently in FT.  I'm not so concerned about the detailed physics as
long
as the game model is believable, playable and fun.  the main driver here
was
that ftr ops are another command decision in fleet mgmt.  command
decisions
like this have lots of appeal to us.  is that where your question was
going?

**********

I know this is going to sound odd, and should be tempered with
what you want in the game, but lauching fighters in space is a
simple task.  Basicly you open their launching area to space
and they fly off.  "Realisticly" there would be no 15 minute delays
in having all  your fighters off and running.  There is no
catapult to wait on.  Of course this is tempered by the "realism" of
your chosen universe.  In HH LACs are out immediately.	In
Battlestar Galactica they seem to have cataputs so you may have a
delay.

Prev: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site