Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [FT] Real Shields (or better armor)

Re: Kinetic Shields

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:39:14 +0200
Subject: Re: Kinetic Shields

Roger Books wrote:

> > Am I the only one that feels like the FT/FB1 point
> > system is severely
> > broken when talking shields/K-guns?

Do you think that the FB points system is severely broken when talking
screens/P-torps as well? After all, the P-torps inflict about as much
damage per Mass as the K-guns, and P-torps are cheaper...

David Griffin wrote:

>Well, that's the problem, they aren't really
>shields, they're "screens" which in FT is more
>of an electronic disruption field for beams.
>
>I'd like to see an actual official shield in
>FBIII (even if it's in a genre section but
>preferably not) which works against everything.

You could get that, provided that the "shield" is considerably less
effective, or more expensive for the same effect, against the currently
screen-skipping weapons (P-torps, K-guns etc.). Phalon multi-layered
shell
in FB2 is one such system - you need 2 layers to stop P-torps, missiles
and
most beams from penetrating; you'll need... more than that to completely

stop the bigger K-guns, but you can do it if you shell out enough money.

The various screen-skippers were all balanced around the fact that they
aren't degraded by screens, so if your "shield" degrades them by the
same
percentage at the same cost as it does beams you effectively make all
screen-skipping weapons useless :-(

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [FT] Real Shields (or better armor)