Prev: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: Fighters, Canadians, and GZG-ECC CanAm

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:02:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Fighters, Canadians, and GZG-ECC CanAm

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> As author of the Canadian misfortunes at
> CanAm, I can say:
>
> 1) Fighters have a per unit value that is non-
> linear (as Brian so rightly pointed out). Few is
> almost valueless, some is about right, lots are
> overpowering (value wise). Note that very few
> cannon ships have ADFC or enough PDS for a
> high fighter environment.

Unless you take lots and lots of PDS and ADFCs. I fyou have no massive
defenses yes.

> 3) We're ground pounders (except for Jim) so
> it was Adrian's first FT game and I've played a
> couple of times but always with canon ships. Jim
> had played before somewhat more, but always
> with canon ships IIRC. And he missed the
> slingshot around the planet. His fleet third took
> no casualties, but nor did it get in range to fire
> a shot. The guys against us mostly played FT
> more than we had (I suspect) and some had
> played with homemade fleets before.

Sheesh. You think the GROPOs would leave well enough alone and let the
vac heads do their job :)

> Better luck next time (in the rules setup for the
> CanAm - I'd suggest letting each team ask 2
> questions of the ref about the other teams
> designs then make some tweaks).

And keep fighters. Course my opinion doesn't mean much since I won't be
there, though I wish I could be. When is it again? Maybe I'll try.

Jaime

Prev: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays